Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Black and White and Red All Over

 

WELCOME THROUGH MY RED DOOR!

Red and White and Black All Over 001

This is a table I set a few months ago…before fall to be a little more exact, because I can see the leaves still on the trees outside!

Red and White and Black All Over 003

I was browsing through my picture folders and realized I never posted this tablescape and wondered why I hadn’t.

Red and White and Black All Over 005

So as I was putting these pictures on a new post and trying to figure out what I was going to write about, I realized maybe why I didn’t post it before.

Red and White and Black All Over 006

I love this color combination of black, white and red and I’m pleased with the general look of this setting,

Red and White and Black All Over 007

but I realized there were a few things wrong in these pictures!  I see where the little problems are and maybe you do too!  I won’t point them out though. 

Red and White and Black All Over 008

I  think this would have been a great table for the post Susan at ‘Between Naps on the Porch’ did a while back of the  mistakes she made in certain settings. 

Oh, so maybe I will point them out!  Because they aren’t  THAT bad! Just a lot of them.

Red and White and Black All Over 009

Looking at some of these pictures makes me feel like I’m on a ship that’s tossing about in the wide open ocean.  Things look tilted!

Red and White and Black All Over 004

Flatware on one side is positioned

Red and White and Black All Over 010

differently than on the other side.

Red and White and Black All Over 011

Candles weren’t lit.

Red and White and Black All Over 012

The centerpiece is very lopsided.

Red and White and Black All Over 013

Fixed one thing!  But you can really see how the candles are tilting here.

Red and White and Black All Over 015

I found this cherry checked tablecloth at an antique show.  It appeared to have never been used.  Great condition.  A little too short for this table though.  Looks like Jack noticed!

Red and White and Black All Over 039

My favorite pitcher from my little collection of white pitchers.  But no glasses to pour into.

Red and White and Black All Over 017

This are my grandmother’s crystal that I introduced in previous posts.  Here I’m using the largest size of the collecction, but meant for a shrimp cocktail appetizer or something to start dinner off with.  Not water.

Red and White and Black All Over 020

So enough complaining.  Now for more positive notes.

I found this centerpiece cage at one of my favorite stores Finders Keepers.  It was a gray color, so I lightened it up by spray painting it white.  It has an opening on the other side wider than what can be seen here, so you can fill it with what will fit through.

Red and White and Black All Over 019

Here you can see the wider opening better.

Red and White and Black All Over 032

I stuck a red candle in the pot of ivy.

Red and White and Black All Over 029

I love how these checked napkins fit into the setting.  I love even more how they aren’t napkins at all.  They’re dish rags!

Red and White and Black All Over 025

Wrapped in Style Sisters napkin rings.

Red and White and Black All Over 023

 

Red and White and Black All Over 030 

Added a few more votive candles around the table.

Red and White and Black All Over 035

Red and White and Black All Over 037

Another pitcher for the other side of the table.

Red and White and Black All Over 022

So what I’ve learned from this particular table is that it would probably be a good idea to make a checklist for future settings,  because I’ve now noticed I tend to repeat some of the same mistakes.

Red and White and Black All Over 028

Thank you once again for visiting.   Come again soon!

Sheila

3 comments:

  1. I think it looks lovely anyway!!! Who says we have to be perfect! I know I certainly am not, but that's ok. Your table is beautiful! Love the napkins ;) Great idea!

    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table -- fashioned in my favorite colors, too!

    About the imperfections: I didn't notice, but had I, I would have thought the cutlery placement an artistic decision, so no problem there. Your unlit candles? Judging by the view out your window, you were right on target -- don't light candles before sunset. The angle of the centerpiece and candles? Nothing a nice glass of wine wouldn't account for!

    The only problem I see with this post is that I was not there to enjoy sharing a meal and conversation with you at your lovely setting!

    Thanks for sharing! Dobbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Dobbs, that you are 'welcome through my door' and at all my tables anytime! Stop in, literally, whenever you want to! Sheila

    ReplyDelete