Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Brunch

 

WELCOME THROUGH MY RED DOOR!

I found this story about the Easter bunny on a website of Easter poems and stories. 

Origin of The Easter Bunny
Easter 2011 369

The Easter Bunny is a symbol that originated with the pagan festival of Eastre.

          Easter 2011 370 

               The goddess, Eastre, was worshipped by the Anglo-Saxons
                                       through her earthly symbol,

Easter 2011 372

the hare or rabbit.

Easter 2011 389

The date of Easter is determined by the moon whose symbolism is strongly tied to that of the hare.

Easter 2011 377

In fact, the hare is the symbol for the moon.

Easter 2011 399

Ever since the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D., Easter has been celebrated on the first Sunday following the first full moon after March 21st.

Easter 2011 400

The Easter bunny was introduced to American folklore by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 1700s.

Easter 2011 388

The arrival of the "Oschter Haws" was considered "childhood's greatest pleasure" next to a visit from Christ-Kindel on Christmas Eve.

Easter 2011 387

The children believed that if they were good the "Oschter Haws" would
lay a nest of colored eggs.

Easter 2011 394 
The children would build their nest in a secluded place in the home, the barn or the garden.

Easter 2011 403

Boys would use their caps and girls their bonnets to make the nests.

            Easter 2011 398

The use of elaborate Easter baskets came later as the tradition of the Easter bunny spread through out the country.

Easter 2011 391

The author is anonymous.

Easter 2011 382

This table, as so many others, just came about, partly unplanned, but with what is around the house.

Easter 2011 397

So what was I going to write about?  I don’t consider myself a writer to any degree, so it’s always the hardest part for me when putting up a post.  That and getting my computer to cooperate!

Easter 2011 385

So as I’ve done before, I searched for a story.  This one couldn’t have fit better.  But I was uncomfortable with all the talk about a pagan goddess and hares…after all Easter is the holiest of all Christian holidays.

Easter 2011 376

As I read I searched a little more, and even though I sort of knew some of it already, I came to appreciate the history behind the traditions and how church events have evolved. 

Easter 2011 384

I love spring!  Everything starting over!  Renewal! Another chance!  So wise!

Easter 2011 395

And so another place setting was added to this table as my youngest joined us for Easter brunch and we were all together again if only for a day (until summer).

Easter 2011 407

I hope you and your families have had a joyous and blessed Easter Season and will continue to ‘bloom’ and ‘grow’ as we move on into the rest of the year.

Easter 2011 412

Now I think we can actually get on with the spring planting outside!  Yay!

Happy Easter!  Happy Spring!

Sheila

1 comment:

  1. I just scrolled all the way down reading the story and then all the way up to enjoy the table. Then I came down again to enjoy it again. I really love your table.

    I didn't know a bit of that about the bunny and the eggs. I kind of assumed it was a story like that, but I didn't know.

    Thanks!

    And btw, your bunny centerpiece is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete